Wednesday, January 10, 2007

In Training

Post 165! Wow, it doesnt seem like so many.

For the Cub Scout Pinewood Derby, I was considering building my car in secret and surprising Dave and Joseph, but I changed my mind.

I thought the anticipation and helping biuld my car would be more fun than a surpise. I think I was right, Joseph has been very excited. He has been giving me endless advice on aerodynamics and cosmetics. He was very anxious for me to sketch out my car so Dad could cut it out for me.

I told Dave I could do it myself, could I borrow his miter box and a hammer? These are--if you don't know already- the WRONG TOOLS for the job. But I know, from experience, the best way to get a man to do something for you in a timely fashion is to start to do it by yourself using his tools, and using them wrong. Then they get to save you from yourself and save their tools, and feel manly at the same time, and they do it right away.

Joseph wanted to know what color I would paint my car. But, of course, I can't paint my car, I have to cover it with fabric. I have been working on that, to the embarrassment of the men-folk. You know, of course, that the job of parents of teens is to cause their teen as much embarrassment as possible. I have about a year and a half to go before the teen is officially a teen, but it takes practice so I am in training. Thirteen can be SO unlucky!

I added iridescent glass glitter this morning, one more coat of Modge Podge and I will be ready to sand

For the Andinka project, I ordered three Jaquard fabic paints--one Noepaque and two Lumeire-- from Dharma and a book from Barnes & Noble. I added some Presist water soluble resist to my Dharma order. I dont know it I will use it, but I might and I have been wanting to try it out for a while(like a year!)

I looked at the book, Creating With Paint by Sherrill Kahn, as soon as it came yesterday. Ooo. Very impressive stuff, it didn't seem like it would apply. Oh well, another book added to my meager collection. It was scary, the kind of stuff I could never do, let alone expect from anyone else. After a couple hours mouldering in my brain, I was beginning to think it could inspire me to future projects. Now, in the morning, I feel that if I spend time looking at it, I will become more comfortable with the ideas and style and it could be very usefull.

I should call Sandy and offer to take her to lunch, show her the book, and bounce ideas. It's quite possible that I could also develope some kind of batik workshop for the guild, they have been asking me to do this for a while now but I have begged off, not wanting to get into the whole hot wax-toxic dye thing at the church. Not to mention having to buy more electric fryers and tjantings so several people could do it at once. $$$


Mrs. Maultsby has mentioned she would compesate me for the stuff I buy, but maybe I can negotiate getting some of last years Procion dye in exchange.....................
click here

No comments: