Friday, January 12, 2007

Andinka Project, fabric paint stamping

Yesterday I finished the painting part of my Pinewood Derby car and moved it out of my workspace so I could play with the new Jaquard paints I ordered. I just used plain muslin.

The first thing I tried was painting burlap and pressing the painted part onto the muslin. This is what I tried first with Jones Tones paint. Jones Tones was very disappointing, but I thought it was a bad technique. I had new hope with the Jaquard. It worked very well with Jaquard Lumiere metalic color Burnt Orange.
You can see it in the background here. I used a strip of burlap and spaced the strips apart. Then I used a sponge and dabbed lines and dots in between the stripes. When that was dried, I used a new strip of burlap and painted Lumiere metalic Halo Blue-Gold over the sponge dabbed part. I was happy with this.

The blue part on top of the burlap printed background is made by applying Jaquard Neopaque Blue to a craft foam stamp with a sponge brush and pressing it on. It worked much better than the Jones Tones for this too. The consistancy was better, and there is enough color to make an impression without glooping it on.

Some outlines are painted with Jones Tones 3-D Paint Writer Glitter, Gold Glimmer. I had it, and itcomes in an applicator bottle with a small hole, so it worked well.

On this piece, I used a carft foam stamp with the metalic Burnt Orange and stamped in as before. Then I made second stampings witHout applying new paint. They are pretty faint. So I did it again with Halo Blue-Gold. That's the circle one. When the Halo color is applied in a stamp, there is a halo shimmer shows more.

I made some second and third stampings of this without re-applying paint. They were not as faint as the orange, but the halo shimmer was lost.

The green dots are made with a piece of kitchen sponge.

I used Burnt Orange on a kitchen sponge to test how a background would look if I dabbed it lightly. Interesting, but I think I can find other textures I like better.

The blue swirls are made by painting the Neopaque Blue onto a piece of hard plastic and then pressing the plastic onto the muslin. Mrs. Maulstby liked this when I showed it to her yesterday.

The last piece of muslin I did by making a wash with the Neopaque Blue. It takes a lot less paint than I thought! We can get some good washes and mix colors this way for some interesting effects. I want to try putting a piece of plastic wrap over this while it beigns to dry.

I stamped over it with some Halo Blue-Gold on part of a craft foam stamp,(the circle)and then used a piece of kitchen sponge cut to a shape to dab on those cornery things with Burnt Orange. The paint was applied to the spnge with a foam brush rather than dipped into with the sponge directly. I had paint on my foam brush after applying the orange and the Blue-Gold for stamping, so I dabbed in the little striped rays.

No comments: