Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Ardenwood

This is what I made using the painted tissue paper on cardstock that you saw on August 28th. I made three in all, and posted two at IHR ande one at the feedstore.They were kind of puckery and would not iron flat. I think I'll try it next time with polyurethane instead of laundry starch.

And here are some pictures of our recent trip to Ardenwood Historical Farm. We were planning on going to the Niles Canyon Railroad, but they were having their Antiques Day whcih had turned ointo a community garage sale that went on for blocks. We woudl have had to walk a couple of miles from the nearest parking and we would have missed the train. So we went ot Ardenwood instead.


James Patterson came to California for the gold rush in 1849. It didn't work out too well for him as far as gold, but he got into farming instead and ended up growing cabbage and selling it for $1.00 a head. That was a lot of money 160 years ago!We took a tour of the house he built. His descendats were living in the house unitl the 70s, then it was sold and restored to the way it had been when Patterson himself lived in it.

Click on this picture to see it bigger, you can get a good look at that old CD player.

Dave had the camera for this part. You can tell because he took a picture of the bathroom. Remember? He did that at Hearst Castle! You remember that from my blog entry on July 31st, don't you?


And...it's a farm, so they had farm animals!
There was an open train car pulled by this great big horse, and we enjoyed the ride. This was funny, the horse knew exactly what to do because it was the same thing every day, just follow the tracks, and he really seemed to like his job.



Then I said to Joseph, "I was looking at the pictures from Ardenwood....your're taller than my shoulder!"
"Let ME see that."
...and he came over and looked at the screen...
"Holy cow! I am! Stand up so I can see." I did and he passed that flattened height measureing hand back and forth, and then we went to the bathroom to look in the mirror. We both laughed!

No comments: