Wednesday, July 07, 2010

The Instructions Are Usually Right

The instructions are usually right, with few exceptions. I'm really good at following instructions and even better at finding the ones that are usually right except in my case.

This fly bag is an example. This is the second fly bag.

Background: Paula Pullet is great for eating bugs. She really reduces the pests in our yard, including snails, earwigs, crickets, grasshoppers, silverfish, beetles..... But her poops draw flies which she can't catch.

SO I hung up a fly trap bag. The bags work by attracting flies that fly inside to lay eggs in the marvelous stink. They can't fly out and get stuck in the stink water and drown. The instructions say to hang low to the ground in the shade. I did that.

The flies flew in and could not get out. They flew around and around inside where they would eventually touch the water and get sucked in. Before that happened, Paula saw them.

Her beady yellow bird eyes must have made cartoon eye spirals when she saw the flies! She tried to catch them and pecked a hole in the plastic bag, letting all the stinky water run out. Ew.

This second bag is hung in the shade, but it is hung HIGH!

4 comments:

allhorsestuff said...

Now there ya go!Directions are good sometimes huh!
All I want is my screen door put on the house this year...that will help our fly problem-inside- tremendously so!
KK

Melanie said...

Oh my goodness...I could just picture Paula as she discovered the bagful of flies...lol!!! : )
Every chicken's dream, right?

Unknown said...

I'm sure she was just trying to help. :D LOL

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Eeewwww, that does smell bad too! We haven't got a fly problem this year. It must be because of the four dozen swallows flying around.