Saturday, November 07, 2009

Steady Now


We are continuing our walks in Ed Levin Park. They are getting much easier. Often, I can check Janow with my voice. Sometimes, when he forgets where he is supposed to be, the correction is only a reminder of the correction, a hint. He says "oh, yeah. Sorry."

Wednesday, a remarkable thing happened. We were walking on the ranch. I decided to go down to the bottom. It's very steep, haven't been down there in ages. My balance and flexibility are not so good. My foot has been asleep for 17 years, it's gonna stay that way. I am not sure-footed. The trail got steeper and steeper, I went slower and slower. Finally, I reached out and took a huge chunk of mane for support as I inched my way down. Janow started licking and chewing, a horse gesture that indicates comfort.

Was he relieved that I was safer with his support? Was he comforting me, telling me it was going to be OK, don't worry?

It could be that I am turning into a mush ball, but I don't think so.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think they do reach out to comfort, and really who can prove us wrong?

How was the lesson?

d. moll, l.ac. said...

"thanks for letting me take care of you" I think I heard him say.