Monday, November 09, 2009

Monday Bunday

Janow colicked yesterday. It resolved before I called the vet, but I was with him for two hours and I was very scared. I got home and Silver, with a similar gut, was fine. Monday Bunday celebrates the continued health of the resident bun.

This is animal No.71240.

Her name is Scamper.

She is one of many rabbits at the Milpitas Animal Shelter. The rabbits are all young. With a life expectancy of ten years, I am amazed at the young rabbits whose owners could not follow through on the promise to care for the bun.

Rabbits are not rodents and they don't act like them. They require as much personal interaction as a dog or cat. They return the affection, but not as readily as a dog. You have to do a to more to earn it. Compared to cats......well, cats are weird. I have two.

My day, if goes as scheduled, includes a visit to the buns at the shelter, and a donation. I promise not to cry while I'm there. Well, no sobbing anyway.

5 comments:

OnTheBit said...

I am glad Janow is better already...how scary!

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Scamper is such a cutie. What a relief Janow and Silver are both OK! Buns really pick up on emotions, as you know. Good luck with the visit, I almost lost it walking by a pet store the other day. Yeah, if you don't out and out sob, you'l be fine.

Unknown said...

I love bunnies. We can't have one (please, we just lost a mouse and a lizard, and are back in single digits at last), but I love them vicariously through bloggers.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Shelter visits are difficult. At one time I fostered 6 rabbits. They were all litterboxed trained except the senior bun who was at least 8 years old. But she would let me know she was going to go potty and all I had to do was pick her up and put her in her cage and then when she was done she'd hop back out. Personally I just think she liked the royal treatment and carrying. She was a snuggle bug. I still miss that bun bun. Her name was Charlotte and she was on her way to be donated to a soup kitchen from a University Scientific Rabbit Breeding Program.
I had her for 5 years.


~Lisa

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh! And I'm so relieved to read that Janow is ok...

(((HUGS)))
~Lisa