Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Liz the Lizard

We have lost Liz. She was out getting sun in her cage and Dave found her dead.

We don't know why. It was not especially hot and she was not seeking the available shade. Part of her tail had been pulled off. We don't know how, since she was alone. We see alligator lizards in our yard that are re-growing tails, but they start at the base, not the middle.

I took it hardest. Partly because I feel responsible. Could I have looked after her better? There are so many things to do in a day, and people try to add to them all the time. Should I be more resistant? There are too many things.

I fell apart at the news of Liz. That bothered Joseph. Is it bad for him to see me cry? Is it good that he knows I valued Liz's life? I don't know.

I thought I liked having a lot of animals. I don't like the frequency at which they pass. This gets faster when you have more.

No comments: