Monday, August 07, 2006

We're Back!

We got back yesterday at about 12:30 in the afternoon. I got a migraine in the wee hours of the morning and by 9:00, I knew it was going to be bad. If we had stayed for the entire clean-up and left at noon, as planned by the camp leaders, I would have been too sick to drive, but would have had to cool our heels at a coffee shop until we could check into a motel at 3:00, the usual check-in time. So we left early, I felt bad about not helping with the camp sweep, but I was really sick.
Good thing too, because traffic was already getting bad from people returning to the bay area on Sunday. Our first slow downs and a complete stop happened before the Altamont Pass. Joseph fell asleep before Lodi. He didn't even know he was sleepy!

We had stopped in Placerville because I needed something really cold to drink(helps the headache) and we needed to call Dave, no cell phone reception in Coloma because of the mountains. When he fell asleep, his drink tipped a little and spilled on his pants, but he decided he could live with it.

The camp was fun, but it would have been more fun if my foot and back had not hurt. We had a tour of Sutter's Mill and the museum. There was a pool at the campground and the boys spent a lot of each afternoon in the pool. The American River was beautiful. You could go rafting on it, and tubing.

Jeremy said you could go tubing for free if you started after the resort ended, and that if you stayed on, you could go all the way around. "Around?" I asked. I clarified: "Back where you started?"

"Uh-hunh." He confirmed."That's funny, I replied, "I thought this river went all the way to the Pacific Ocean."

The boys went on a hike to see John Marshals grave. I decided not to go, but I gave Joseph the camera so he could take pictures. He filled up the card. It already had a lot of pictures on it from Hot August Nights. He had the camera for that too.

All in all, it was a positive experience, but I wouldn't recommend the camp ground. Sure, it had flush toitys, but there were two, for about 50 women and girls, and two sinks and two showers. We had to walk quite a ways from our site. It was icky dirty.
The campers were packed close together and you could smell their cigarette smoke and hear their snoring at night. Many of them had music.

Many of the scout families camp all the time and they are used to it. We only camp at the scout camp-outs and we are not used to it.

Raingutter Regatta is nest Saturday. I have a book to give to Jerry. Maybe I can get it to him there.

No comments: